Building permits are required for most construction or remodeling projects.
Permits are required to ensure that buildings and development projects are constructed to be safe and to conform to all applicable codes. If you plan to build a fence, storage shed, or patio; install an irrigation sprinkler system, fire alarm, or fire sprinkler system; remodel; add a new room; finish/complete an unfinished basement area; change/replace windows; or reshingle your house, you will need a permit.
Failure to obtain the proper permit could create an unsafe situation for you and your family, and the improvement may not be covered by your homeowner's insurance. You might also be in violation of state and local laws and you could also be liable for substantial penalties. If you are using a contractor, it is advisable that the contractor obtain the permit, so you can be assured he or she is properly licensed and bonded.
Application forms and instructions for various types of permits are available online, and may be returned in person, or by fax or email. Payment is accepted by check, cash, or credit card (MasterCard or Visa). Please contact the Building Department at 509-498-9237 for building permit fee information. Please see the Cheney Municipal Code, Chapter 19.06 for specific local amendments to the adopted International Codes, including local climatic and geographic design criteria.
Inspection requests received prior to 9 a.m. can usually be performed the same day. The best time to contact an inspector is between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.
Currently the City of Cheney has adopted the following codes:
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- NFPA Standard No. 58 for Propane Installations
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- The Washington State Energy Code WAC 51-11
Forms Available for Download
- Building Permit Application - Fillable PDF
- Video: How to Complete a Building Permit Application
- Excavation and Grading Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application Form - Fillable PDF
- Video: How to Complete a Mechanical Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application Form - Fillable PDF
- Video: How to Complete a Plumbing Permit Application
- Predevelopment Application for Major Projects
- Residential HVAC System Code Compliance Certification
- Sign Permits -- Temporary or Permanent Signs
- Zoning Placement Permit Applic - For Fences & Sheds
- 2018 IRC Regional Prescriptive Footing Calculator
- Fence Guidelines
- Fire Department Development Guidelines
- Pre-and Site- Built Shed Multi-Jurisdiction 10-3-17 - FINAL
- Predevelopment Conference Guidelines
- Residential Permit Process Guidelines
- Site Plan Instructions
- Whole House Ventilation Fan Worksheet
- DECK CONNECTIONS-DETAILS -2018 IRC JUNE-2021