Building permits are required for most construction or remodeling projects.
Permits are required to ensure that buildings and development projects are constructed to be safe and to conform to all applicable codes. If you plan to build a fence, storage shed, or patio; install an irrigation sprinkler system, fire alarm, or fire sprinkler system; remodel; add a new room; finish/complete an unfinished basement area; change/replace windows; or reshingle your house, you will need a permit.
Failure to obtain the proper permit could create an unsafe situation for you and your family, and the improvement may not be covered by your homeowner's insurance. You might also be in violation of state and local laws and you could also be liable for substantial penalties. If you are using a contractor, it is advisable that the contractor obtain the permit, so you can be assured he or she is properly licensed and bonded.
Electronic Plan Review
Save the cost of printing your construction plans and use the Citizen Connect portal to apply for your permits online. You can upload your construction drawings, and your reviewed plans will be returned to you by email, shaving days off the turnaround for plan review.
If you are not able to use the online portal, application forms and instructions for various types of permits are available below, and may be returned in person, by mail, or by email.
Payment is accepted by check, cash, or credit card (MasterCard or Visa). With your online application, we will email you a link and amount for payment, usually within 2 hours after you submit.
Please contact the Building Department at 509-498-9237 for building permit fee information. Please see the Cheney Municipal Code, Chapter 19.06 for specific local amendments to the adopted International Codes, including local climatic and geographic design criteria.
Inspection requests received prior to 9 a.m. can usually be performed the same day. The best time to contact an inspector is between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.
Currently the City of Cheney has adopted the following codes:
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- NFPA Standard No. 58 for Propane Installations
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- The Washington State Energy Code WAC 51-11
Forms Available for Download
- Building Permit Application - Fillable PDF
- Video: How to Complete a Building Permit Application
- Excavation and Grading Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application Form - Fillable PDF
- Video: How to Complete a Mechanical Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application Form - Fillable PDF
- Video: How to Complete a Plumbing Permit Application
- Predevelopment Application for Major Projects
- Residential HVAC System Code Compliance Certification
- Sign Permits -- Temporary or Permanent Signs
- Zoning Placement Permit Applic - For Fences & Sheds
- 2018 IRC Regional Prescriptive Footing Calculator
- Chimney-Sidewall Flashings
- DECK CONNECTIONS-DETAILS -2018 IRC JUNE-2021
- Egress Window Handout - 2018 IRC
- Fence Guidelines
- Fire Department Development Guidelines
- Inspection Types - 2018 IRC
- Island Venting - 2018 UPC
- Predevelopment Conference Guidelines
- Pre-and Site- Built Shed Multi-Jurisdiction 10-3-17 - FINAL
- Residential Permit Process Guidelines
- Railings - 2018 IRC
- Site Plan Instructions
- Whole House Ventilation Fan Worksheet