Public Works Permits
The Public Works Department administers permits for certain types of work both in the City’s right-of-way and on private property. Prior to starting any work, be sure to obtain all applicable permits for your project.
Facility work such as water and sewer services, on-site stormwater management systems, electrical service, or other utility work that is performed by the owner or contractor, or City Light Department, and commonly connects to the City’s infrastructure typically requires a Civil Permit. Additional information can be found here: Civil Construction: Permit Requirements, Applicability, and Limitations.
To apply, fill out the following form(s) and submit to the Public Works Department. If there are any plans or other construction documents that go with the application, be sure to provide three (3) copies of the full-size sets.
Any construction work occurring within the City's right-of-way requires a permit authorizing such work. This includes work such as the installation of curbs and sidewalks as well as excavation work such as for the installation of underground utilities and the improvement of an existing City street or the construction of a new City street.
To apply, submit a completed application and attach any other submittals that are required for that type of permit as outlined in the following information:
- Right-of-Way Excavation: Prior to any excavation in the City right-of-way, an excavation permit must be obtained. (CMC 12.44)
- Curb and Sidewalk: Prior to any curb and sidewalk construction or replacement, a permit must be obtained. (CMC 12.20)
- Access Connection Permit: The City permits ingress and egress onto the City's streets through the issuance of an access connection permit. (CMC 12.62)
- Right-of-Way License: Use of the City right-of-way for the installation of fixed objects is permissible under certain conditions through the issuance of a right-of-way license. (CMC 12.38)
- Street Improvement: All improvements to City streets or alleys shall require an approved permit. (CMC 12.46)