Utility Billing Services
Update on Utility Disconnects and Returned Item Fee Assessment
The moratorium issued by Governor Inslee prohibiting utility late fees and disconnections for non-pay ends September 30, 2021.
The City of Cheney has financial assistance and payment plans available for our customers impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. All customers have until October 31, 2021 to bring their accounts current or enroll in a payment plan before disconnects for non-pay resume in November.
As of October 1, 2021, the City of Cheney will resume assessment of a $40.00 returned item fee for all returned checks and credit cards payments.
Please contact the Finance Department, 509-498-9209, for additional information.
Post COVID Utility Assistance Plans
Governor Inslee has stated the moratorium on utility late fees and disconnects will end September 30, 2021. To assist our customers in bringing their utility accounts current, the City Council adopted Resolution E-933 providing for a Post COVID Utility Assistance Plan/Policy. Please see the entire plan here.
The City is coordinating with Cheney Outreach to receive financial assistance applications. The center is open every Thursday to receive and process applications for COVID Assistance. The nine guidelines established by the policy are:
- Assistance is for residential utility customers only.
- Utility account must be in the name of the person requesting assistance.
- Customers are eligible for assistance one time.
- Customer must be able to demonstrate they have been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Customer must be able to provide documentation of utility delinquency (available at the Finance Department).
- Customer must be able to provide income verification to Cheney Outreach.
Funding for this program will expire December 31, 2021.
The City Council also authorized a 12 month payment plan for outstanding utility bills. There is an application process and a required promissory note to enroll in a payment plan. Please contact the Finance Department for information and enrollment.
Utility Payment Options
1. Pay by check. The city receives payments through the mail and the conveniently located and secure drop box in the front door of City Hall.
2. Pay by credit card on the City’s website. A processing fee of 2.49% will be added to your credit card charge by the credit card processor. The City does not charge or keep that fee.
3. Pay using your bill pay option at your bank. Please contact your bank for details for possible charges.
4. Pay by cash. The City will receive cash in the drop box, please ensure your bill stub with the payment noting the account and/or address. Please do not mail cash.
5. Pay using DOXO. DOXO is our paperless billing partner and allows payments using credit cards and direct debts from your checking account. There is a credit card fee associated with your transaction through DOXO with a smaller fee for automatic debits directly from your checking account.
Governor Inslee Issues Proclamation 20-23 Regarding Utilities
Governor Inslee has issued Proclamation 20-23, pertaining to Utility Ratepayer Assistance and Preservation of Essential Services. The City of Cheney is committed to keeping our customers connected to essential services during the COVID-19 pandemic emergency. If you are experiencing hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, you may be eligible for support, including long-term payment arrangement or bill assistance. This Proclamation does not relieve customer from the obligation to pay for utility services.
Proclamation 20-23 can be found here.
The Washington State Utilities and Transportation Commission will serve as the single point of contact within the state for customers seeking bill assistance information. Utilities and Transportation Commission Consumer Hotline: 1-888-333-WUTC (9882) or email@example.com.
Requests to connect or disconnect utility services are accepted at the Finance Department, located in City Hall at 609 2nd Street. All requests can be made in person or completed requests can be received on-line. Same-day service is available for all requests received and processed prior to 3:00 p.m. Monday - Friday, weekends and holidays excluded.
Click here for a direct link to forms and instructions.