- Cheney Clean Sweep
- Making a Difference
Making a Difference
Cheney Clean Sweep: YOU make a difference!
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Clean Sweep happened in 2020 and 2021 in a very different format – but it still happened! Community members continued to pitch in to keep our community clean, in spite of the limitations on in-person gatherings.
In 2019, the last time we had a full-fledged Cheney Clean Sweep, THIS is what we accomplished:
• 206 citizen volunteers (at 3 hours apiece) spent a total of 618 hours picking up litter and beautifying selected areas of the city!
• 4.06 tons of household garbage were collected, and 3 tons of building materials;
• 3.29 tons of metals were recycled;
• 110 used tires were collected at Les Schwab;
• 41 people used the household hazardous waste drop site;
• 2,939 pounds of electronics equipment were collected for appropriate recycling;
• 80.4 pounds of prescription drugs were deposited for appropriate disposal;
• 39 bins (64 gallons each) of personal documents were shredded (and Cheney Federal Credit Union collected 507 pounds of donations for the Cheney Food Bank!)
• 3 elderly residents were assisted with spring yardwork, along with significant impacts to 12 downtown planter boxes, Centennial Park, the Cedar Street volleyball court, Community Gardens, Hibbard Park, Golden Hills Park, Salnave Park, the Visitor Center at 1st and Cheney-Plaza RD, and the Memorial Parks on Elm Street;
• 17 local businesses participated as co-sponsors.
THANK YOU to all our Clean Sweep Participants, and please let our business sponsors know they are appreciated!