Effective July 24th, unauthorized recreational fires and open burning are hereby ordered discontinued in the city of Cheney. Spokane County has enacted a countywide burn restriction in the unincorporated areas of the county, and incorporated cities and towns within Spokane County have restricted burning as well.
The restriction was initiated due to increasing temperatures, fuel conditions, and fire potential forecasting. It is that time of year again to recognize the potential for wildfire in our region.
The restriction applies to specified fire pits, fire bowls, and campfires as illustrated in this notice.
NOT ALLOWED ARE:
- Outdoor fires without a chimney such as a backyard fire pit or campfire
- Open burning of fields and yard waste--prohibited at all times
- Manufactured portable outdoor devices such as fireplaces, chimineas, barbecues, and patio warmers, provided the device is equipped with a spark arrestor and a chimney
- Approved fuels in allowed device--clean and dry seasoned firewood, charcoal, natural gas, or propane gas
- Designated campfires in parks and campgrounds may be allowed as approved and determined by agencies with jurisdiction.
Any person found with a recreational fire or conducting open burning who fails to take immediate action to extinguish or otherwise discontinue such burning when ordered or notified to do so shall be charged with a misdemeanor. Unauthorized open burning and unauthorized recreational fires are restricted until this order is lifted or unless otherwise permitted by law enforcement or authorized agencies.
Please call 9-1-1 to report a violation of this burning restriction.
If you have any questions, please call the Cheney Fire Department during regular business hours at (509) 498-9291.