How many sets of plans should I submit? Do I need an architect or engineer?

As applicable you must submit 2 sets of building plans, 3 sets of civil plans, and/or 3 sets of fire alarm or fire sprinkler plans.

Architects and engineers are required in accordance with State law. Architects are generally required to design projects where the area of work exceeds 4,000 square feet.

Engineers are required to design items not meeting the prescriptive requirements of the code where the practice of engineering is needed to demonstrate compliance, such as using a steel beam for a large wall opening in a house, roof trusses, or retaining walls. See

RCW 18.43.010.

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a permit?
2. If I buy a prebuilt shed and have it delivered, do I need a permit?
3. May I start work before my permit is issued?
4. May I do my own work?
5. May I apply for a permit online? May I pay for a permit online?
6. What do I need to apply for a permit?
7. How many sets of plans should I submit? Do I need an architect or engineer?
8. How long will it take to get my permit?
9. How long does it take to review plans for residential construction?
10. Is there anything else I should be aware of before I pick up materials? Do all manufactured products (e.g., windows, insulation, handrails) meet building code requirements?
11. What inspections do I need?
12. How do I schedule an inspection?
13. How far ahead do I have to call to request the inspection?
14. Do I need to be present for the inspection?
15. How should I prepare for an inspection?